Dr. Stephen C. Scott Scholars Program
Incorporating the principles of leadership, vision and community into a scholarship program that honors former president of Wake Technical Community College, Stephen C. Scott.
The Dr. Stephen C. Scott Scholars Program is a merit-based scholarship program designed to provide full-time Wake Technical Community College students with an opportunity to pursue studies at Wake Tech and participate in additional leadership development opportunities. The program is named for President Emeritus Dr. Stephen C. Scott and reflects the values he instilled in the college during his fifteen years as President.
The scholarship was created in 2011 with a $25,000 endowment fund established by Mark and Rachel Selisker. Rachel is a successful Wake Tech graduate and a former member of the Wake Tech Foundation Board of Directors. Over the years, many private donors have joined the Seliskers in supporting the Scott Scholars program, adding $400,000 to sustain the program in perpetuity.
Each Scott Scholar will receive the following:
• A scholarship valued at up to $5000 per year to cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, and supplies
• A college-issued laptop (if desired) to use while enrolled at Wake Tech and participating in the Scott Scholars program
• A mentor at Wake Tech who will serve as an advocate for the student, providing guidance and opportunities for leadership development
• A paid internship placement in an industry related to the student’s program of study or a non-profit community organization, offering opportunities to engage in service leadership and/or experience working in their field of study
• The opportunity to participate in student-centered leadership development or other relevant professional development opportunities during the academic year
• A one-on-one meeting with President Emeritus Dr. Stephen C. Scott up to twice a year to discuss leadership, vision, and community
• Opportunities to participate in special events and projects as designated by the program administrator and/or recommended by the student’s mentor
Eligible students for the program include:
• Current Wake Tech students or CCP students who have completed 12 credit hours of college-level coursework
• Students who have a Wake Tech GPA of 3.30 or higher and significant accomplishments and achievements
• Students who have demonstrated community service work
• Students who have demonstrated leadership skills and abilities
Applications are reviewed by a selection committee who will make the final determination. An interview may be part of the selection process if deemed necessary. The selection committee will consist of staff, faculty, board members, and other friends of Wake Tech. All applications will be accompanied by two letters of recommendation. Criteria for consideration include:
• A GPA of 3.30 or above
• Demonstrated community service work
• Demonstrated leadership
• Significant accomplishments and achievements